Dungeon Kingdom

Official Forum
It is currently Sat 20 Oct 2018 12:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug 2014 20:21 

Hi, nice work so far. I just wondered and here is my question:
What are your feelings in regards to hand drawn textures?
have you thought about this or can you even imagine to test how it would look? (maybe it is too much work?)

I do think it could blend in nicely with the portraits and also would give a softer feeling compared to the hard-rendered stuff.
People may prefer the walls as they are right now, nothing wrong with them, and I do not even know if hand drawn would be better.. !
^^
just wanted to hear your opinion

PostPosted: Tue 19 Aug 2014 20:36 
Administrateur du site

zigo wrote:
Hi, nice work so far. I just wondered and here is my question:
What are your feelings in regards to hand drawn textures?
have you thought about this or can you even imagine to test how it would look? (maybe it is too much work?)

I do think it could blend in nicely with the portraits and also would give a softer feeling compared to the hard-rendered stuff.
People may prefer the walls as they are right now, nothing wrong with them, and I do not even know if hand drawn would be better.. !
^^
just wanted to hear your opinion

Hi zigo.
Well i agree with you about some hand painted textures to fit best with portraits. However it would request lot of work to draw all textures that way for such a small team like us. And secondly, i worry about the final rendering quality: not sure it would fit best to modern shaders based rendering...and i would be affraid it looks too "cartoonish"...I am a big fan of artists like Larry elmore or keith parkinson, their artworks have a lot of details, and i love it very much, but the lighting and rendering in Dungeon Kings is fully real time, you can switch off/on any light and we have do deal with that dynamic sides of things when choosing a rendering style. That means we need not only a texture but also normal/bump texture, wich not easy to generate by hand...And not to mention a specular map for specular reflexion...

regard ;)